hamentashen–gluten free of course
ok, just as i was getting over the excitement of valentine’s day purim comes whipping around the corner! purim is a jewish festival which celebrates the deliverance of the jewish people from the wicked king hamen. on purim gift bags of candy are exchanged called mishloach manot as well as cookies called hamentashen (these are triangle shaped cookies supposed to signify the wicked king hamen’s hat!
now that the explanation is out of the way–onto the recipe!
again i use causeyourespecial sugar cookie mix. it is so easy and versatile!
- make the mix as directed on the bag. on a piece of parchment paper roll the dough to approximately 1/4″ thickness and cut circles using a 3″ cookie cutter.
- in the center of each circle place 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite jelly or jam (the gluten free boy only likes chocolate so i fill the center with melted chocolate chips.)
- fold the circle up into a triangle–this is fun but it takes some practice!
- pinch the three aides together
- bake at 350 (convection oven) for 8-10 minutes until the triangles are golden
- allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar