chocolate crackle cookies-gluten free-- adapted from queen martha...stewart, that is!
8 oz bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled, 1/2 cup cocoa powder- i like ghiradelli or valrona
1 1/4 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
8oz unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling
- preheat oven to 350. Chop chocolate into little chunks and melt over medium heat in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. allow to cool. or microwave 20 seconds at a time on low until the chocolate is melted--be careful not to burn the chocolate
- Sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and light-brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add melted chocolate. With mixer on low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until just combined. Divide the dough into quarters, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Using your hands, take pieces of the dough and make 1" balls--roll the pieces into the reserved powdered sugar, completely coating the balls with sugar. If any of the cocoa-colored dough is visible, roll dough in powdered sugar again to coat completely. Place the cookies 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until cookies have flattened and the surface is crackled--about 12 minutes.
- if the sugar melts-some times this happens, i have no idea why! simply sift additional powdered sugar after the cookies are out of the oven.. careful not to cover the cracks!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.