in 1973 a guy named steve herrell became the granddaddy of gourmet ice-cream and the inventor of ice cream mix-in’s. ben and jerry’s wasn’t born (they served their first scoop in 1978) and cold stone wasn’t even conceived! the grandfather took plain coffee, vanilla or chocolate ice cream and mixed in greatness—reeses, oreos, toffee bits, brownie bites and even raw cookie dough!
fast forward 37 years and my gluten allergic child wants to taste cookies and cream ice cream- thank god for creativity! read on to make your own steve herrell’s ice-cream gluten free mix-ins!
gluten free cookies n’ cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (i like haagen daaz)
- 1/2 batch chilled raw GF chocolate chip cookie dough. NO, i don’t worry about the raw eggs–has anyone ever actually DIED from eating raw cookie dough? (see chocolate chip cookie recipe in the blog)
-allow the ice cream to sit out of freezer for about 10 minutes
-take approximately 3/4 cup of 1/2 teaspoon chunks of the cookie dough and chop (mix) it into the softened ice -cream.
-re-freeze the cookie dough ice cream in the original container or eat it all that second!
gluten free fudge brownie chunk ice cream (aka rocky road)
- 1 pint chocolate ice-cream
- 3 pieces 2″ individual GF brownies
- 1 dozen mini marshmallows
- hershey bar-cut into chunks
- 1 pint haagen daaz coffee ice cream
- 4 reeses peanut butter cups
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 5 peppermint patties cut into chunks