When it comes to childhood foods some stick in my memory and will never be forgotten. Aside from my mom’s sauteed potatoes with onions and grilled cheese with tomato soup one of my favorite items my mom made was chocolate pudding pie. She made Jello brand Cook & Serve chocolate pudding poured it into a graham cracker crust and topped it with fresh made whipped cream!
I wanted the gluten free boy to have the same gourmet chocolate pudding pie experience. It is as simple as following the directions. When I want to get a bit more upscale, I pour the pudding into individual glass jars, shave some chocolate on top and pass the homemade whipped cream–it is very impressive!
- 1 5oz box jell-o cook and serve chocolate pudding mix–prepare as directed on the box
- 1 1/2 boxes gluten free graham crackers (I used Jo-sef brand but kinnikinnick makes great gluten free graham crackers also)
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 9″ foil or Pyrex pie dish
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- in food processor crush graham crackers until finely ground–add melted butter
- press graham crackers into foil or Pyrex pie dish and place in freezer for 1 hour
- pour hot chocolate pudding into the prepared frozen shell
- while the pie is cooling in the refrigerator make the whipped cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat the cream on medium until light and fluffy
- if by accident you over beat the cream–add more heavy cream by the teaspoonful until you reach the desired consistency.
- when the chocolate pudding has cooled completely, spread the whipped cream over the top in a decorative manner–don’t just slop it on! OR put the whipped cream into a glass bowl in the refrigerator and serve on the side of the pie.