Basically life is very different now for our (kind-of) gluten free boy. It was difficult enough before entering the food allergy trial to make sure Matthew's food was safe. Now it is almost not even worth explaining the situation in a restaurant- it's too complicated.
In addition to his daily dose of allergens (wheat, rye, barley and oat), he can also have cross contaminated items- for example items fried in the same fryer as, a burger touched with tongs which previously touched a bun, soy sauce in asian food sauces. So....when we ask for the gluten free menu and proceed to order some items containing gluten, it makes for a very confusing ordering process. We try to keep it simple stating , " he can have little bits of gluten..."
Matthew eats a relatively small amount of wheat daily ( 4 grams- equivalent to one small bagel). Currently he does not go over. Aside from this daily dose (as its termed) he still eats gluten free. Which brings me to my continuing obsession...giant, thick, chewy and gooey chocolate chip cookies- gluten free! One giant wheat chocolate chip cookie would be too much daily wheat protein so I continue on my quest to find and perfect a divine gluten free version.
At Silver Lake Lodge in Deer Valley, Utah there are THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!! They are huge (5"), soft and chewy! I was determined to make cookies as divine- or better for the wheat free boy! I called the bakers at Silver Lake Lodge and they told me the secret to making successful cookies at a high altitude. By omitting 2 tablespoons sugar and baking these cookies low and slow ensures the cookies stay thick and chewy. DIVINE!!!
thick chewy chocolate chip cookies, gluten free
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (less 2 tablespoons) white and brown sugar mixed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, pure
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- * 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder- if making double chocolate cookies, use this and omit 1/4 cup flour.
- mix both sugars into softened butter-stir until mixed thru
- add egg and vanilla, stir just until egg dissappears
- add flour, baking soda and salt- mix until just blended next add chocolate chips.
- drop 3 heaping tablespoons onto parchment paper to make 4″ giant cookies!
- bake for 20 minutes at 270 on parchment paper.